Wednesday, September 16, 2009

“The Race” Invades Snowflake, AZ once again

This is the second biggest offroad race in Arizona. The Whiplash snowflake are is also known as "the race", which takes place between Snowflake and Heber, in beautiful northern Az. The race was on Saturday September 5th, and the tech, contingency, prerun took place the day before on Friday. Here are some photos from tech..


I have no idea what this is but I had to take some photos..


Shannon Campbell's "class 1 buggy"





After the tech, I went back to the pits, busted out my flash and off camera flash cord and messed around with some shots..


Here, John Linner and Jeff Harrison get trapped in and get ready for the prerun

Scott has some fun, while getting ready

Scott and Tim get ready to go on the prerun


The race started early on Saturday with the first car leaving the line at 630am, so I was headed on the course an hour before that to get to my first shooting spot.



At the first spot, Strunk Bros TT first race vehicle to where I was shooting

Ron Dalke get a little sideways off the jump.

Shannon Campbell catches some air in his class one/rock crawler.

A 1600 car goes over a jump past me, I thought it was a cool shot

As I am leaving a 1300 car takes a jump


Here is the second spot, where I parked so I hiked to the first spot. This is Brandon McNeil jumping the TT down into the field.



Jeff Harrison leaps his class 7 truck down the hill

Kevin Mcmurray launched his 1450 truck down the hill


The I headed to the next spot on my gps, a fence line road with a couple of huge rollers, some of the leaders were passing by as I got there...


Brad Hemphill in the SDHQ TT passes a 1300 buggy

A class 10 car goes side by side with a stock bug over a roller and gets sideways

1450 leader Kevin Mcmurray speeds over the roller and catches some great air time

Chad Hummer Launches his Jeep off the roller

A 1450 Truck jumps the roller

Another 1450 truck gets a little crazy off the jump

TT 20 lands after catching a bit of air off the roller

Larson's Video camera gets obliterated by a TT, after trying to get some good footage.

A class 10 Lands hard after getting some hang time

The infamous Mcneil 1450 Red Ranger gets some good air after hitting the roller

Scott Bicknell skies his truck off the roller, right before the rain comes in


After that I headed back to a turn I saw less than a mile up track when I got this shot, Shannon Campbell chasing down a slow race vehicle



This is my final shooting spot, a 90 degree turn right before the fence line section, It started to down pour shortly after I got to this point I shot a few cars in the dry but the it got to muddy to get the dirt roost effect was looking for..

The Jones Class 10 speeds through the corner

Another 10 car comes through the corner with a flat shredded tire and was kicking dirt everywhere


After this it got really wet and muddy, so bad racers were abandoning their broken race cars and hoping in the back of my truck for a ride back to pit.. This concludes my blog, thank you for reading here is a story I wrote of the race on Race-Dezert.com.. Well click the title of this blog to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment